Michael Irvin reaches settlement in Marriott lawsuit, returns to NFL Network

Michael Irvin reaches settlement in Marriott lawsuit, returns to NFL Network

Former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin reached a settlement with Marriott in his $100 million defamation lawsuit against the hotel chain, a person familiar with the situation told The Dallas Morning News, and he appeared on NFL Network on Sunday morning for the first time since a woman accused him in February of making lewd comments in an Arizona hotel lobby.

NFL Media, the entity that manages NFL Network, lifted its indefinite suspension of Irvin. The Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee’s hiatus from the network lasted more than seven months, as Irvin last worked Opening Night for the Super Bowl on Feb. 6 in Phoenix.

“Michael Irvin has been reinstated and will be a part of NFL Network’s coverage of the 2023 season,” Alex Riethmiller, NFL Media vice president of communication, said in a statement.

His return coincides with a 14-game NFL slate Sunday in the first week of the 2023 regular season.

Irvin, 57, sued Marriott International Inc. and six other parties, including a Jane Doe, for defamation and tortious interference in a business relationship after Marriott contacted the league regarding a Feb. 5 interaction between Irvin and a female staffer at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown. Irvin was staying at the property at the time.

The woman filed a complaint to the hotel Feb. 6 that Irvin made a sexually explicit comment toward her the previous night. Irvin denied the accusation. She also reported Irvin said he would find her later in her work week.

“Like I’m going to hunt her down, kidnap somebody, kill somebody?” Irvin told reporters in response at a March 14 news conference. “Come on.”

Irvin told The News that he consumed alcohol that evening at dinner and did not recall all the details to the conversation.

On March 10, Irvin obtained unredacted video of his lobby exchange with the woman and released it four days later. The conversation lasted about one minute, 45 seconds. During that period, Irvin initiated physical contact that included quick arm pats and a parting handshake. The woman appeared to become uncomfortable during a 12-second span, twice stepping back from Irvin.

No criminal charges were filed in the matter.

Irvin was removed from the hotel, and ESPN followed NFL Media to cancel his public appearances during Super Bowl week. On Aug. 28, he appeared on FS1′s Undisputed show with host Skip Bayless.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *