Examining some controversial referee decisions from Vikings-Chiefs

Examining some controversial referee decisions from Vikings-Chiefs

looking at some contentious referee selections from the Vikings-Chiefs game.

In his press conference following the game, Kevin O’Connell made a point of keeping his mouth shut.

Several calls or no-calls made by the officials during the Vikings’ 27-20 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday afternoon drew criticism from Minnesota supporters on social media.
Aside from that, Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell refrained from criticizing the referee in his postgame press conference in order to avoid getting fined.

O’Connell cautioned, “Want to be careful on this one.”.

Let’s go over some of the calls and non-calls that may or may not have been correctly ruled.
The Chiefs were called for ten penalties to the Vikings’ four, but did the home team get the short end of the stick in multiple key moments?

On fourth down, officials pick up the flag (among other events).

For the Vikings, this was the game’s pivotal moment.
After taking a delay of game, they faced a 4th and 12 from the Chiefs’ 24 with just under five minutes remaining in the game and were trailing 27-20.
As he took a significant blow, Kirk Cousins ducked back and lobbed the ball toward Jordan Addison in the end zone.

L’Jarius Sneed made contact with Addison, and the ball fell incomplete, but the referee raised his flag for defensive pass interference.
Collectively, the crew decided that there was no DPI on the play and that it should be picked up.
A turnover on downwards.

The fact that Sneed removed his helmet on the field to object to the initial call—which should have been a penalty—adds to the Vikings’ annoyance.
O’Connell explaining that to a representative was seen on the CBS broadcast.
Although it wouldn’t have given the Vikings a first down, it would have forced the Chiefs back into their own end zone before the ensuing possession.

When asked what the referees told him about that play, a furious O’Connell replied, “Yeah, not much.”.
“I clearly remember not being shocked when the flag first appeared to be called a flag at that time. I guess I’m trying to determine how and when that went in the wrong direction.
However, both that situation and the fact that not every player on the field was wearing a helmet was very unfortunate.

Oh, and it appears that the Chiefs were able to get away with illegal hands to the face on that same play.

I’m not sure if Addison was actually impeded during the play.
O’Connell acknowledged that Addison ought to have made more of an effort to avoid making contact in order to increase the likelihood that the penalty would have been upheld. The ball might or might not have been catchable.
And yet, C.
The Vikings won’t be happy about Ham almost having his helmet shoved off or about Sneed getting away with taking his own helmet off.

DPI was summoned by Smith.

On a crucial fourth down, this was yet another significant choice.
The Chiefs went for it on a 4th and 1 from close to midfield, and Patrick Mahomes found Marquez Valdes-Scantling with a deep pass.
A DPI call resulted from Harrison Smith running into MVS as the play was still in progress. Harrison Smith was trailing the play.
The Chiefs scored a touchdown five plays later, extending their lead to 27-13.

It’s challenging. Smith didn’t get his head around to locate the football, but he did appear to tell a referee later that Valdes-Scantling grabbed him rather than the other way around.
On balls that are underthrown, officials typically give the offense that call.

O’Connell remarked, “I’ve got to go back and take a look at that one because I think a lot of the time when you don’t get your head around as a defender, it becomes a pretty quick trigger there.

Toe-tap by Watson was sustained.

Upon replay review, a few close plays that favored the Chiefs held up. Justin Watson made what appeared to be a toe-tap catch along the sideline for 23 yards late in the first half.
Despite being extremely close, it was reviewed and upheld.
By the time he took possession, Watson’s feet almost appeared to have slipped off the in-bounds grass.

The Chiefs continued and made a field goal to tie the score at halftime.

Upheld was Kelce’s catch.

A Mahomes pass to Travis Kelce on third down midway through the third quarter was the second close play that was upheld after review.
To advance the chains, Kelce rose above Josh Metellus and made an incredible catch.
Although Metellus ultimately won the game, it was determined that Kelce was down before losing the ball.

O’Connell contested the play.
Although it appeared that the ball may have moved a little, the call did not change.
Less than halfway through the third quarter, the Vikings forfeited their second halftime timeout as a result.

O’Connell asserted that his decision to object to the play was not one he regrets.

Considering the available evidence, he declared, “I felt wholeheartedly that that was worth a challenge there.”.
“It was always going to come down to whether they thought that initial catch was two steps and a football move.
The receiver successfully completed the catch to the ground, and we were left with the ball on the play.
However, that will be decided, as you know.
However, given the situation and how it seemed at the time, I would unquestionably dispute that again.
In any case, we get the ball back if it’s even determined to be an incomplete.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *